St. Peter’s Church, Southrop, a Norman Church with Saxon herringbone masonry in the nave, has one of the greatest treasures of the Cotswold Churches in its font dated about 1180. The figures on it are sculptured with a far greater freedom than on other elaborate local Norman fonts, due to the gradual infiltration of French art. The font was moved at some time for safety, and was discovered by John Keble built into the south doorway, hence its good state of preservation.
John Keble (whose ancestors were local landowners from the 16th century) was curate at Southrop from 1823-25. While here, he took pupils, some of whom became, in later life, men of considerable eminence and influence upon the religious life of the country. Among them may be mentioned John Henry Newman, Robert Wilberforce, Isaac Williams and Hurrell Froude. Their discussions sowed the first seeds of the Oxford Movement.
The vicar responsible for the parish is the Reverend Andrew Cinnamond. He can be contacted via the parish office in Lechlade. Tel, 01367 358653 email email@example.com
Information about weddings can be obtained from the Vicar or the Wedding Clerk, Margaret Davey, on firstname.lastname@example.org