The village hall is a registered charity and was built on land which is held in trust by the Charity Commission. It was funded entirely by public subscription and built by local craftsmen, with village businesses and institutions sponsoring key parts of the build or donating materials. It opened on 15th January 1955.
Subsequent extensions have seen the hall become home to the community shop and a sub post office, and the addition of a committee room, plus improvements to the kitchen facilities and the playground. As well as providing a meeting place for various village groups, it hosts exercise classes and club meetings – normally there is something happening in the hall on most days of the week. It is available to hire for groups and private functions such as children’s parties, wedding receptions, exhibitions etc., currently subject to Covid rules. Free wifi is available in the hall – details available on booking.
A number of necessary improvements have been identified by the hall’s Trustees and Management Committee. Now in its 66th year, the hall needs several improvements and upgrades. Our project plan for the improvements is being implemented in stages, with the aim of making our hall fit for continued use up to and beyond its 70th anniversary in 2025. We have made good progress on the project which is called “SVH 2025”; see link below.
The hall is for the benefit of all the residents of Southrop and the surrounding area. To hire the hall or make enquiries please contact Caroline Simmons at email@example.com
- Duncan Smith, Chair
- Hugh Elford, Secretary
- Iain Mills, Treasurer
- Rhona Reid
- Colin Medley
Other Committee Members
- Margaret Davey (who also represents the Parochial Church Council and the Village Shop)
- Shelagh Benfield (who also represents the Post Office)
- Marc Holland (taking a break from the Committee due to career commitments during 2021)